Instructors Facebook Calendar of Events How To Join

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Beautiful Life ~by Vanessa Eskolin

A couple of days ago I watched the trailer for the movie "Water For Elephants" starring Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson. In one of the clips, Robert Pattinson leans over to Reese Witherspoon and whispers "You're a beautiful woman. You should have a beautiful life."  That struck me as really a great line. Well, let me be honest; Robert Pattinson could probably tell me to go fly a kite and I'd still giggle, but I digress.

If I were to "free flow" about motherhood, beautiful might not be the first adjective that comes to mind. This is probably due to the fact that am in the beginning stages of potty training Max, so motherhood is currently associated with pee pee, caca, potty, and my son refusing to sit on his potty unless he is wearing his fireman hat. But at the end of the day (after I have spot-checked for pee pee drips in random areas of the house), I think motherhood is beautiful. Messy, silly, and at times frustrating, but all in all pretty awesome. As a mother, we are given the opportunity to raise and guide our children, and then we watch as that child develops their own personality and becomes an individual. This individuality may also be the cause of the few gray hairs I have begun to notice, but who am I to say that there is anything wrong with wearing a Halloween costume while sitting on the toilet?  Motherhood is by far one of the most difficult jobs out there, but the rewards and experiences are unmatched.

"Water for Elephants" is not in movie theaters, and I have not yet finished the book, but I would bet money that the dialogue following Robert Pattinson's line about "a beautiful life" has nothing to do with making wee wee in the potty. I will go see this movie, and although I will probably swoon when Edward Cullen whispers this across a candlelit table, the image in my head will be of a bright red fireman hat and a little white toosh running through the kitchen. Call me crazy, but I think that is pretty beautiful.